Summary of Strengths
- Passion for designing and implementing elegant and useful (software) solutions to challenging problems.
- Experience in distributed software development and C/C++/Python from Cisco, Opera and open source projects.
- Good knowledge of web standards from developing web browsers, and prior experience as a web developer.
- Excellent communication skills from studying abroad and working in multilingual environments.
- Diligent and responsible in performing tasks. High attention to detail.
October 2011 – Present Software Engineer at Cisco (formerly Tandberg)
- Member of the Solutions Platforms team in the Collaboration Technology Group.
- Working on next-generation TelePresence video conferencing codecs and endpoints.
May 2007 – Present Contributor to the open source Git project
- Git is currently the most popular distributed version control system.
- Primary author of the git notes feature for attaching useful metadata to Git objects.
- Active participant in the Git community.
September 2007 – September 2011 Core Developer at Opera Software ASA
- Responsible for central infrastructure and utilities, making them lightweight, efficient, and portable to a wide variety of platforms.
- Maintaining core components for legacy encoding support, Unicode funtionality, selftest infrastructure, etc.
- Coordinated company-wide version control transition from CVS to Git.
July 2004 – September 2007 Unix Developer at Opera Software ASA
- Developing and porting Opera to embedded Unix/Linux-based platforms.
- Implementing product-specific features and resolving bugs.
- Working in customer-oriented product teams with high level of cooperation with the customer and tight delivery deadlines.
April 2003 – August 2003 Research Assistant at Queen's University
- Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering.
- Developed software for a research project in robotics and machine vision (Pool Robot).
- Low-level programming in C and higher level programming in C++.
2000 – 2004 Bachelor of Science with First Class Honours
- Queen's University, Kingston, Ontario, Canada.
- Computer Engineering, Software Option.
- Received Dean's Award (above 80% grade average) in 2002 and 2003. Final standing: 84% grade average.
- Focus on software architecture, software development and real-time systems.
- 4-year intensive program with a final-year thesis project: Robot Pool "Straight-Shot" Planner and Executor:
- Natural Languages: Norwegian (native). English (fluent).
- Programming Languages:
- Primary languages: C, C++, Python, Bourne shell.
- Other Languages: HTML, CSS, XML, SQL, etc.
- Operating Systems:
- Advanced Linux/UNIX user since 1996 (Arch, Debian, Ubuntu, etc.).
- Some experience from Mac OS X and Microsoft Windows.
- Methodologies/Practices: Agile Development, Design Patterns.
1999 – 2000 Viken Music College, Gjøvik, Norway
- Field of concentration: Jazz/Pop/Rock – Jazz Piano.
1996 – 1999 Sygna High School, Balestrand, Norway
- Fields of concentration: Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and English.
June 1998 – January 2008 Website development and administration for various customers
- Administering web and mail services for multiple customers and domains. Creating web page layout and programming web applications.
- Since August 2004 these activities were organized under a sole proprietorship called Herland Software.
January 2003 – April 2003 Teaching Assistant at Queen's University
- Assisted undergraduate students on laboratory assignments in a course on Data Structures and Algorithms.
September 2002 – April 2003 Network Administrator at Sci'44 Co-op Student Housing Inc.
- Part-time administration of a Windows 2000 server and 6 Windows 2000 workstations at the main office.
June 2001 – August 2001 Bank Teller at Sparebanken Sogn og Fjordane, Balestrand
- Worked as front desk teller interacting with customers on a daily basis; responsible for foreign exchange.
Other Skills and Interests
- Driver's License: Norwegian Class B.
- Professional Memberships:
- IEEE, since 2001.
- NITO (Norwegian Society of Engineers and Technologists), since 2005.
- Music: Jazz Piano, classical, jazz and rock music.
- Audio/Video Technologies: PA systems, Hi-fi systems, Home theatres.
- Photography: Digital SLR Cameras, etc.
- Birthday: June 24th, 1980.
- Marital Status: Married.
- Citizenship: Norwegian.
This document is copyright 2012, Johan Herland.
Last Modified: January 2012